US steps up Qatar crisis diplomacy, lauds Kuwait’s mediation
WASHINGTON — The Trump administration on Friday ramped up diplomatic efforts to help resolve Qatar’s crisis with its Arab neighbours, which risks implications for America’s military presence in the Middle East and the fight against the Islamic State group. The U.S. is also concerned that the spat among Arab governments could hamper a shared interest in blunting Iranian assertiveness in the region.
President Donald Trump spoke with Qatar’s leader to affirm the importance of ending the festering, three-month-old dispute between Qatar and Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt, the White House said Friday.
Later Friday, the White House said Trump had spoken separately with the leaders of Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
Trump’s call to Qatar’s Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani on Thursday came after he met the emir of Kuwait, whom he thanked for his vigorous yet thus far unsuccessful mediation. Trump reasserted his demand for all countries to stop funding extremist groups. He previously has described how Arab leaders criticized Qatar for such terror financing during a regional summit in Saudi Arabia earlier this year.