STAY CONNECTED: Have the stories that matter most delivered every night to your email inbox. Subscribe to our daily local news wrap.

RCMP investigating threats online and in Tumbler Ridge, B.C., after shootings

Feb 21, 2026 | 11:44 AM

RCMP say they are investigating threats that have circulated online and within the community of Tumbler Ridge, B.C., on the same day that the funeral for one of the victims in the mass shooting had to be cancelled.

Police did not offer specifics on the threats but said on Saturday that officers have connected with the mayor and community leaders to ensure ongoing communication and public safety planning.

“The RCMP is aware of threats that have circulated online and within the community and we can confirm that an investigation is under way. A safety plan is in place for the individual(s) and community as the investigation continues,” the statement said.

A message posted online by the Tumbler Ridge Chamber of Commerce and attributed to the family of Kylie Smith, who died in the shooting at the local secondary school, said her service had to be cancelled and that the family had been “moved to a safe location.”

It said the family “couldn’t risk anymore violence in this amazing town.”

“From what we are hearing, we are at least the third family of the deceased to be harassed or threatened by people from their past since this awful tragedy took place, Like we aren’t all dealing with enough already,” the message said.

On Feb. 10, Jesse Van Rootselaar shot and killed her mother and 11-year-old half-brother at their home in the community. Police say she then went to Tumbler Ridge Secondary School where she killed five students, an educational assistant and then herself.

The small community of fewer than 3,000 people became the centre of international attention, including visits from federal and provincial politicians, including Prime Minister Mark Carney.

News of the threats come as both federal and provincial leaders are condemning reports that the artificial intelligence company OpenAI had concerns about Rootselaar’s interactions with its ChatGPT program prior to the shootings, but did not inform police.

A report from The Wall Street Journal said that employees with the artificial intelligence company considered alerting authorities about the shooter’s worrisome interactions with its chatbot months before the shootings.

The report said Van Rootselaar made posts with ChatGPT about scenarios of gun violence that were flagged by OpenAI’s automatic review system last June.

OpenAI said Saturday that in June it proactively identified an account associated with Van Rootselaar and banned it after it was flagged for violating policy by a system that uses automated tools and human investigations.

The company said the account did not meet the threshold required to inform law enforcement about a risk because they could not identify credible or imminent planning.

A statement from B.C. Premier David Eby on Saturday said reports that allege OpenAI had related intelligence before the shootings are “profoundly disturbing for the victims’ families and all British Columbians.”

Eby said police are pursuing orders regarding the preservation of potential evidence related to the mass shooting in Tumbler Ridge held by digital services companies, including social media platforms and AI companies.

RCMP have said that Open AI reached out the police after the shooting and that “digital and physical evidence is being collected, prioritized, and methodically processed” as part of the ongoing investigation.

Canadian Minister of Artificial Intelligence Evan Solomon said in a statement on Saturday that he was “deeply disturbed by reports that concerning online activity from the suspect was not reported to law enforcement in a timely manner.”

“Canadians expect online platforms, including OpenAI, to have robust safety protocols and escalation practices in place to protect online safety and ensure law enforcement are warned about potential violence,” he said.

Solomon said he is in contact with OpenAI and other AI platforms regarding their safety protocols and that while the RCMP is investigating, the government is “reviewing a suite of measures to ensure the safety of Canadians, particularly children.”

“All options are on the table to ensure that public safety and the protection of our children are the cornerstone of any technology built into these systems from the outset,” he said.

The province said Saturday that OpenAI had a preplanned meeting with provincial officials the day after a deadly shootings but that officials did not mention concerns about the shooter’s online behaviour.

The province said the company asked for contact information for the RCMP the day after the meeting.

In response to questions about its actions after the shooting, OpenAI said once it became aware of the suspect’s name through media reports, it asked the FBI to reach out to the RCMP on Feb. 11.

The company said it later reached out to the premier’s office looking for a high-level RCMP contact.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 21, 2026.

Ashley Joannou, The Canadian Press