STAY CONNECTED: Have the stories that matter most delivered every night to your email inbox. Subscribe to our daily local news wrap.
Photo credit: East Prairie Metis Settlement Facebook page.
Wildfires

Province announces $9 million to help East Prairie Metis Settlement rebuild

Jul 21, 2023 | 5:16 PM

EDMONTON – Alberta government says a northern Alberta Metis settlement is to receive a one-time payment of $9 million-dollar for recovery from a wildfire in May.

Jason Nixon, minister of children and family services, says the payment to the East Prairie Metis Settlement would help the community rebuild homes damaged by wildfire.

He says the money is coming through the Indigenous Housing Capital Program.

Nixon says there are no provincial or federal programs available to cover the emergency costs for rebuilding and repairing homes on Metis settlements.

The Alberta government approved a $175-million recovery program for municipalities and Metis settlements earlier this month.

In the last two months, wildfires burned more than 14,000 square kilometres, affecting about 38,000 Albertans.

(The Canadian Press)