Smith says Alberta separatists should focus on fall vote rather than ousting her
Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says separatists who are upset that a binding vote on quitting Canada has been put off should focus on the province’s fall referendum — rather than campaigning to force a review of her job.
Smith announced in a televised address Thursday that a question on the Oct. 19 referendum will ask Albertans if they want to remain in Canada or start the process to hold a binding referendum on separation.
The move has been widely criticized, especially by those in Alberta’s separatist movement. Many had been counting on Smith to directly put separation on a ballot, after a judge last week threw out a petition looking to force such a vote.
Jeff Rath, a lawyer for the petition group Stay Free Alberta, called Smith’s move a betrayal for thousands of United Conservative Party members who have supported her.